Passenger Side Central Locking Problem!!

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Richy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Passenger Side Central Locking Problem!!

Post by Richy »

not long after my ownership of the FTO (1 mth), i ve encountered my 1st problem 8O ...which is the passenger side central lock...it doesnt work anymore. when i lock the car, i dont even hear the passenger side mechanism trying...just nothing happens.

i was then reading the diy section (http://ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?nam ... pic&t=1058) on central locking fix...however i cant see the pics, so dont quite understand how to do it....

I bought a set of central locking set from stratfield car radio (they wanna charge $65 for installation per door), so i decided to give it a DIY try before i spend the money...and i took the door panel out (thanx for the guide found here), but the locking motor is behind the metal panel, making it unreachable....

could anyone please give me a little instructions on this issue...ie. where do u place the new motor (assuming the old one cant be removed as its behind the metal structure)....etc

greatly appreciated... :P

Richy
noccers
Grease Monkey

Post by noccers »

Did you try the other link on that page?

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/ ... index.html
gawk; talk; date; wine; grep; touch; unzip; strip; touch; gasp; finger; gasp; mount; fsck; more; yes; fsck; gasp; eject; umount; make clean; make mrproper; sleep;

successful trades: d_stroy_r, shue, mxysxy, dstocks
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

yeah...but the pics and stuff seems to be for an astra...when i open the doorcard, i cant even see the motor....

or am i not reading the instructions properly??

if anyone could explain the replacing process a little more detail...would be greatly appreciated...i ll try taking the doorcard out again later today or tomorrow to give it another try....

cheers
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I have recently come accross the same issue. Mine only works when i use the key, not the remote/alarm.

When i could bf'd it all comes off..But atm...i can't. I hvae pulled the door card/skin off a few time sin the past and from memory the mech, is behind the metal frame.

My guess fromt he other guides is that u simply mount a new one close buy and re-direct the cable from the old-new.

But I have never done it.

How much for the kit that u bought?
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

The factory motor is located in the latch itself, which is a bitch to get to. The after market one gets mounted on the door frame somewhere, just attach the cables to the old ones.
LED ALL the things.
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

hahahaha

after a few hours of mugging around, cruising through various forums and reading mxysxy's post for about 20 times...finally fulfilled my first DIY mission....

have sucessfully attached an aftermarket actuator to the passenger door and my central locking is sweet and back to business..(although if i manually lock it from the inside seems to be a little tight....but didn't bother opening the doorcard to re-adjust it again - lazy)..

overall, very happy with the works for a complete novice like myself... :lol:
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

That's exactly how I felt when I did mine. Just wait until you hook your mirrors up to the central locking so they fold in automatically when you arm your alarm :wink:
LED ALL the things.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Richy wrote:hahahaha

after a few hours of mugging around, cruising through various forums and reading mxysxy's post for about 20 times...finally fulfilled my first DIY mission....

have sucessfully attached an aftermarket actuator to the passenger door and my central locking is sweet and back to business..(although if i manually lock it from the inside seems to be a little tight....but didn't bother opening the doorcard to re-adjust it again - lazy)..

overall, very happy with the works for a complete novice like myself... :lol:
thats great mate.

So can u tell me exactly what u bought and did? I'm gonna give it a go very soon.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

You need one of these (the 2 wire slave one) and some wire.
LED ALL the things.
alku83
Grease Monkey

Post by alku83 »

Supplanter wrote:You need one of these (the 2 wire slave one) and some wire.
Will that work for hooking up the mirrors as well, or does that need to be done seperately? Also, it says its for passenger door...do you use the same one for drivers side?
http://www.aspyre.com.au/
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

wicked...thanks.
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

hello

the kit i bought from Stradfield is a black widow kit for 4 doors.. cost me $39..

after u take out the doorcard...unplug the socket on the right side of the door (think thats the power supply for the motor).

Then unplug the socket on the left near the motor (its sort of hidden behind the metal panel). the socket has two wires, one blue/black, and one blue/red.

install the new actuator / rod, with the green cable wired to blue/red, and blue to blue/black. then secure the actuator either with the metal plate or cable tie.. i drilled a hole and use one metal plate, (then my drill went out of battery and could be bothered to recharge it) so i use cable tie to further secured the actuator.

Then plug the socket on the right side of the door back and try the lock...then do any adjustment as suited...that's it.

hope this would help someone with a similar problem as mine...

Cheers
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

good stuff.. will do this shortly, sounds quite easy in fact.
johhny
Grease Monkey

Post by johhny »

just changed the cen locking on my GF's car.... works like a dream now....... very easy to do ...
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

alku83 wrote: Will that work for hooking up the mirrors as well, or does that need to be done seperately? Also, it says its for passenger door...do you use the same one for drivers side?
Hooking up the mirrors is completely different, you need 3 relays and some wire and some extra money to put in the swear jar :roll:

Auto Folding Mirror Instructions
LED ALL the things.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

just bought the jarcar items...will wire these up tomorrow.
alku83
Grease Monkey

Post by alku83 »

Supplanter wrote: Hooking up the mirrors is completely different, you need 3 relays and some wire and some extra money to put in the swear jar :roll:

Auto Folding Mirror Instructions
I think I'll tackle that one another day. The guide here

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/ ... index.html

seems to indicate you can do it all nicely in one solution? Anyway I think I'll just do one thing at a time.

I read through the thread in the DIY, and it sounds like you need a 2 wire for the passenger side, and a 4/5 wire for the driver side? I wanna do both at the same time, but I can't see any instructions for how to connect up the wires on the drivers side. Is it basically the same?
alku83
Grease Monkey

Post by alku83 »

alku83 wrote: I read through the thread in the DIY, and it sounds like you need a 2 wire for the passenger side, and a 4/5 wire for the driver side? I wanna do both at the same time, but I can't see any instructions for how to connect up the wires on the drivers side. Is it basically the same?
Well I did mine today and I'll answer my own question, slave (2 wire) actuators are fine for both sides, just make sure on the drivers side you reconnect the remaining two wires to the original door lock motor.

Wow what a difference, why didn't I do this 2 years ago! I used the actuators in the link Supplanter gave above, from Jaycar, and the hardest part for me was where to attach the bloody things. So, for anyone who uses the same ones and has any trouble, here's how I attached mine. God bless the man who invented cable ties!

BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

alku83 wrote:here's how I attached mine. God bless the man who invented cable ties!
hmm. safe lol, just my 2c, but u might want to put a bit of plastic or even a bit of cardboard between the cable tie and the sharp edge of the panel. there's going to be movement no matter how tight u do the thign up, and it'll eventually cut the cable tie.

btw won't it work if u just drilled a couple holes in the panel to stick it on?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

BorepYano wrote:
alku83 wrote:here's how I attached mine. God bless the man who invented cable ties!
hmm. safe lol, just my 2c, but u might want to put a bit of plastic or even a bit of cardboard between the cable tie and the sharp edge of the panel. there's going to be movement no matter how tight u do the thign up, and it'll eventually cut the cable tie.

btw won't it work if u just drilled a couple holes in the panel to stick it on?
You dont use cable ties much then Borep? :lol: Mate, those thing will be there for life! There's nuthin' ya cant do with cable ties :D

I used them in an old car I had to hold part of the exhaust up. Strapped around the brackets they lasted 6 years & were still on it when I sold it :D