My install. - Not so 56k.

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y
jedwabna poszewka promocja

My install. - Not so 56k.

Post by Astron_Boy »

So thought I would do an install thread with progress and info as to what I have done.

Kinda starting this mid flight, don't have all the info of what was installed previous just yet.

Made a thread stating of the best way to install a single amp.

decided to replace the flimy back board made from perforate plastic with some good strong 3ply.
Mounting the amp onto the back board seen which will be bolted against the port resting against the back seats foam.
A false wall exposing the amps lid and a 1.4 gap to show the cathode array behind wall be installed around the amp.

More pics to come.

So far have run passenger side door wire to boot, removed all the cars interior trimming, replaced the door cards tweeters, and put in the Door speaker pods which I got from Dstocks.

Stay tuned.
Last edited by Astron_Boy on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Finished the new back board this afternoon.

Note: I made another tab at the top so a bit more will be holding down the board and supporting the weight.

Going to have to slim down the top pegs so the seat can slip back in

Removed the now knackered Kenwoods.
Going to be cleaning the parcel shelf, quite a bit of dirt.
Not easy to remove those screws to get the 6x9s out, so going to be mounting the speakers on the underside of the shelf.

Stay tuned.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Exactly what I did .... But without the pics ... hehehehe ...
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Damn, so I'm not original, let hope my end result is though ;)

Made a bit of progress today, but as always, getting impatient, so I'm cutting corners to get to the end, one day I can always go back and fix things up if i get a bit ana... finicky :lol:

Yeah, a bit bodgy, but does the job... I'll take a pic of the drivers side to show how the previous owner did it... yeesh.

See, wouldn't even know.

Now, if you did notice I had tweeters in the door trims, they are there simply to fill the ugly hole that was drilled into the door cards. The actual tweeters are in the factory spot, but retro fitted, and will have a +3dB gain to compensate the speaker direction.

Sprayed the back board silver to make it a bit more reflective for the light, plus matches the amp a bit better.

Mounted the amp, used thicker bolts with dome nuts to make it look a bit better so you don't see ugly holes for where you'd stick a crew driver down.

Yes I know the name plate is upside down, couldn't find my allen keys. Red fluro activates when boot is opened and will be the backlight to a frosted perspex front cover over the amp and back board.

Wires are messy as I'm nowhere near the end of the job, scrub back, respray then fish oiled to come.

Stay tuned.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

A bit more done today, though there's only 1 pic.

Ran the power cable from the battery to the amp, was going to do 4GA, but couldn't find my stash of it, and in the end, running the 8GA was easier as there wasn't much room to run the 4GA easily.

Took me most of the day fiddling round with where exactly I could feed the cable through, then I just cleaned up a bit of the wiring in the boot.

Have to buy the audio RCA cables from work tomorrow.

So close to cranking this over, I just want it done now!

Stay tuned.
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

looks amazing buddy. How did you get the back seat out. mine just does not move. Like i take the seat out easily, then unbolt the bottom mounts of the back rest, but it just doesnt move. Any advice for me ?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Pull really hard ...

It is only bolted in, and after that it should pop right off...
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Needs to be jostled upward from the bottom.
So you undo the 2 bolts, 1 on either side, and then just lift it upward.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

rock_it wrote:Pull really hard ...

and after that it should pop right off...
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love editing.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

lol ... clown ... :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Hope you put foam or something around that MDF otherwise its gonna rattle like bitch
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

There's a felt lining around the edge where the board makes contact with the metal.
The foam backing of the seat will also help secure.
Plus, there isn't going to be a sub on this install.
Just cranking the bass on the 6x9s up a bit more.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

woah this is looking identical to my old setup... Even with the the neon, xept i had two cathodes on each side of the boot aswell... Bright as @ night.

Its looking good mate.... If you could cut a hole in the wood and feed the wires through the back... With heat tape over the wires to protect the seat of course, it would look allot cleaner and proffesionally done
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

jay6 wrote:woah this is looking identical to my old setup... Even with the the neon, xept i had two cathodes on each side of the boot aswell... Bright as @ night.

Its looking good mate.... If you could cut a hole in the wood and feed the wires through the back... With heat tape over the wires to protect the seat of course, it would look allot cleaner and proffesionally done
haha, yeah, I suppose doing the setup this way is the most common as it takes up the least amount of space.
My original idea for the wires was to cap the ends of the amp and run the wires down along the black channel... but that black channel holds the wooden floor base, so I changed the design slight.
I have now zip tied the wires neatly, and will be wrapping them in silver pvc tape.
That will hide the wires from view.
And when the perpex cover goes over the whole thing, you won't even see the wires at all with the light.
Cassf88
Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

im looking at this thread thinking, iwish i had the spare time to do this 8O
i have an amp sitting behind my strut bar n then the sub... i have enough room for 2 shopping bags in my boot... lol
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

in total this has taken me about 13hrs to do this much.

i have spent about an hour each afternoon give or take when I get home whilst it's still light outside.
Spent a bit of Saturday afternoon, and Sunday on it.
I reckon another 4hrs, which is till Friday, and I'll have the thing completed. *without the perspex* have to cut that out in cardboard and take it to the perspex man.

all the audio gear I have had under my house since Dec 05 with plans to install to my VW, never did, VWs in bits and pieces now.
The front speakers for the FTO died, fiance isn't driving currently as she has no job, so I jumped the oppourtunity.

I like doing it, but get impatient fast... as you can probably see from the shortcuts I've done :lol:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Didn't have any pictures from yesterday, so this is more text and again only 1 picture.

Ran Audio RCA cables from amp to where headunit it.
Removed all centre consoles pieces.
Thanks to Dstocks... ages ago, put in new centre piece, mine were both broken.
Put in drivers side tweeter.

All that's left now is to run the drivers side speaker wire, install drivers side woofer, headunit....... test, and then perspex.

Below is a pic of the tidied up amp setup.

msbchi
Grease Monkey

Post by msbchi »

I still have the old back board from my old install if you want it Cassf88. It is cut to the shape of the hole between the boot and the cabin ( Sort of oval ) and only big enough for one amp. PM me if you want it. and save me the hassle of binning it :)
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Well, finished, about damn time.
7:30 has no sunlight, so was running out of time.

Still tossing up about the perspex. Finally bought a card reader, sony pics attached.
Last edited by Astron_Boy on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

love it. Looks so fl;ashy :D

I want a new centre cosole now - im so tired of looking at my cracked one