The Suspension Thread

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

AJ
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by AJ »

So my drop links arrived so I emailed Fulcrum for a quote on the other parts, here’s what they quote. Are the part numbers right? Volvo?? And the prices for the shocks sounds high.
SPF1160 Front Control Arm - Inner Front Bushing $49.92
SPF1500 Front Control Arm Lower - Rear Bushing $68.59
SPF1344 Front Sway Bar Mount to chassis bushing (16mm) $17.44
Whiteline front control arm $68.59
Shocks - 4 x KYB Gas
Part numbers; Front L: 334154 (Volvo S40/V40 Front) $303.26
Front R: 334155 (Volvo S40/V40) $303.26
Rears: 341140 (KYB Lancer CC Rear) $379.92
Pillow Mounts front $432.64
Pillow mounts rear $557.44
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

holy cow how much you wanna pay for the shocks I paid 80 each for my rears and 150 for the fronts each man.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Yeah, that's what I thought. Where did you get them?
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

inderpendant motor mart they had the 2 rear ones in stock and they are odering in the front ones so will find out final price then
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Wow those shocks are heaps pricey! Yeah Volvo is right, but try James @ Tubular Suspension Systems for a better price.
maxleng
Grease Monkey

Post by maxleng »

Does anyone have King Springs on their FTO? if so what height do you have? low, super low etc?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

maxleng wrote:Does anyone have King Springs on their FTO? if so what height do you have? low, super low etc?
yip lows and get them
low for performance, superlow more for looks
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Bennoz wrote:Wow those shocks are heaps pricey! Yeah Volvo is right, but try James @ Tubular Suspension Systems for a better price.
James has quoted $510 for the shocks plus $250 to fit plus $75 for wheel alignment. Still waiting on quote for bushes from him. Does this price sound good? He's also going to quote me on the HSV brake upgrade.
Anyonw want to fit them for me instead? :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

lol Yeah but now I gotta go & pull my brakes off so he can copy the bracket :lol:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Bennoz wrote:lol Yeah but now I gotta go & pull my brakes off so he can copy the bracket :lol:
dont forget to make a template of them :D
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Do you think his quote for my set up is ok? And how's his work?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

price is not too bad but pity you canswap em out yourself and save some dollars,

as for his work well you cant really go wrong changing shocks unless he is a complete muppet of a mechanic
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
maxleng
Grease Monkey

Post by maxleng »

hey vipfto, i could only find low's for king springs in their catalog for fto's, they only had lancers and magnas in the super low catalog... do you think they would fit on an fto? (im guessing not)

http://www.kingsprings.com/catalogue/Ki ... 040203.pdf
(super low catlog)
full catalog: http://www.kingsprings.com/catalogue.htm

Il probs end up getting low's, dont want the hassle of superlows, there are so many speed bumps in my area :evil:

also do you have any pics of your fto side on with the lows? i had a look in your gallery but there was only a back/side one, couldn't really tell how it sits over the wheels.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

yeah i had that issue you will find that lancer front or rears will fit but trust me go for lows ;)

My car is about 2000kms away so taking a pic will be hard until about month :twisted: (as long as my import app isnt declined)

but can tell you it dropped about 25 to 30mm front and rear leaving enough clearance for daily driving, I only scraped when entering drivways with steep angles and just have to be careful of those kerbs or stoppers they have infront of some car park spaces
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
maxleng
Grease Monkey

Post by maxleng »

ok so i was having a look with a ruler and i think i want to go lower than 25-30mm lol. i guess il just have to crawl over speedbumps, i can deal with that. :P

with superlow king springs for lancers/magnas which ones would you recommend for the fto? this is what they have:

380 S/LOW
LANCER CC SEDAN S/LOW(120mm I.D Fr. - 77mm I.D Rr.)
LANCER CE CEII S/LOW MY00 MY02 MY02.5 S/LOW
MIRAGE CE S/LOW
LANCER CG SEDAN (NOT VRX) S/LOW
MAGNA TE-TW SEDAN / VERADA KE-KW S/LOW

anyone have any ideas? cheers.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

cc lancer would be closest but still not sure if they will be a perfect fit?
have you looked at other brands like tein etc?

guess your going for looks not performance?
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
maxleng
Grease Monkey

Post by maxleng »

yeah going more for looks than performance at this stage anyway. Nah i havent really looked at other brands, but im guessing Teins would be a lot more expensive than Kings, and same with Pedders. Thats why i think Kings would be good, because they are of decent quality and not too pricey.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Finally got my new suspension! :P I got the KYB's all round, Tien top mounts, bushes and droplinks all done by James @ Tubular Suspension Systems http://www.tubularsuspensionsystems.com/
When he got to work he noticed that one of the CV boots was torn and proper fooked so I had to get that done too. Cost all up was $1720 + what I paid for the drop links from the UK (approx $60 if I remember right).
James did an awesome job and I'm really happy with the work. He helped me get the best price on all the parts and gave great advice. I collected the car from the garage which he uses for wheel alignment (James gave me a lift from the train station to here in his new Maloo R8 ). As I drove out I could already hear rubbing so I turned around and went straight back. I called James on his mobile and explained what was happening. This was at 5.30 and the garage was closing down for the night. James came back and got them to hoist the car and take the front wheels off. A few taps with the hammer and the FTO was back on the road with no rubbing.
I work in the service industry and James did a great job and I was really impressed with his "It has to be perfect or I'm not going home" attitude. Thanks also to the guys at the garage who stayed behind to help too.

I highly recommend James and Tubular Suspension Systems.
James also does brakes and said that if we get at least 10 people keen, he'll copy Ben's HSV brake set up for us. I'll start something in the GB section soon...
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

sounds like you got the best service there AJ 8) well worth the money I'd say, does the fto feel any different? has the ride changed much?
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Good to see he looked after you 8)

I'll try get up there in the next fortnight so he can do the brakes. Im due for new rotors too, so it'll work out well.