Handling ability between a FTO and DC2R

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lovefto
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Handling ability between a FTO and DC2R

Post by lovefto »

Just a quick question, and hopefully i wouldn't get a biased answer for this. In my opinion, a Type R will win a FTO (don't flame me 8O ) in straights, but in terms of corner handling, i'm pretty sure FTO is well known for it. However, comparing to a Integra Type R (DC2R), how do it fare? I'm talking about the post 97 FTO with LSD!
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

First of all you're probably more or less right about straight line performance, although it would be close and probably come down to driver and mods. However having owned both cars I would put my money on the FTO for the corners although again its a close one coming down once more to driver and other variables....tyres etc. Oh and btw not all post 97 FTOs come with LSD.
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Well, the simple question is hard to answer, without being biased, i think Redline is close to the mark. Both cars are pretty good, and in many cases it will come down to the mods, and the drivers. But the Type R will probably have more power :|

However, the negatives of an FTO would be no as many mods for it, mod wise it doesn't have as high potential as a DC2R. But, the positives of an FTO would be the rarity of the car compared to a DC2R, and slightly better handling...

I will find out when I race one! :wink:
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Re: Handling ability between a FTO and DC2R

Post by RichardH »

lovefto wrote:Just a quick question, and hopefully i wouldn't get a biased answer for this. In my opinion, a Type R will win a FTO (don't flame me 8O ) in straights, but in terms of corner handling, i'm pretty sure FTO is well known for it. However, comparing to a Integra Type R (DC2R), how do it fare? I'm talking about the post 97 FTO with LSD!
All driving being equal, the (original) ITR is quicker on motorkhana courses.

Driven both an ITR and an FTO (without LSD) back to back during a practice session. The ITR has razor-sharp steering, go-kart handling and has plenty of kick, plus lovely instant throttle response. It's like everything good about my FTO, but turned up half a knotch. ;)

Except the looks! Zzzzzzzzz.... I just can't bring myself to like the ITR as a total package, no matter how hard I try.

- Rich
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

FTO is also about $10,000 cheaper... and $10,000 worth of mods to the FTO would make it better faster and handle better than a ITR
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Yep def got a point there. And like was said you cant compare the looks of the two cars and the commoness of the FTO.
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

Does anyone that has driven both find that the ITR is better balanced due to there being less weight in the nose from the less bulky engine?

It seems to me that the DC2 is probably a slightly better performer due to being a lot more 'hard edged'. Whereas the FTO has a bit more consession to being a bit more all rounded.

Having said that, I went for a ride in a Jap spec DC5 ITR the other day and that was just awesome 8O. Of course, it did cost 3x as much as my FTO...
[url=http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/fto/index.htm][img]http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/ftologos.jpg[/img][/url]

It's gone :( - now carless...
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

Well, I drove both on the track within 5 minutes of each other, but there's just no way I could tell you that one was better balanced than the other because of less weight in the nose due to a lighter engine!! 8O

I guess I'm just not hardcore enough, hehe.

- Rich
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

it's pretty close around the race track, last time i was up against one it was a modified type R and we were pretty close.... can't remember the lapt times but there was bugger all in it...

(and no i'm not talking that civic with the DC engine in it )
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

RichardH wrote:Well, I drove both on the track within 5 minutes of each other, but there's just no way I could tell you that one was better balanced than the other because of less weight in the nose due to a lighter engine!! 8O
Haha, pay more attention next time please :P :wink:

I doubt I would be able to tell either, I was just wondering if someone could. It just seems to me that given both cars are reasonably lightweight, that the extra mass hanging over the front wheels of the FTO may hamper it a bit. I don't know, maybe I'm talking out of my ar$e.

Anyway, I'm going to have my track debut in the FTO next month so it will be interesting. I'm keen to find out how it will go in comparison to my old twin turbo VR-4 - its a twisty track, so they should be pretty close.
[url=http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/fto/index.htm][img]http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/ftologos.jpg[/img][/url]

smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

as long as you know how to drive a FWD car on a race track the FTO handle's very well....

at the last track day at oran park i was having no difficulty outhandling GTST's and other RWD's ... only place i lost was on the front straight where BOOST rules
MrFT000
Mechanic

Post by MrFT000 »

what are considered "good times" at say wakefield?
I am also heading down the track pretty soon and want to know what to kind of aim for.
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

smorison wrote:as long as you know how to drive a FWD car on a race track the FTO handle's very well....

at the last track day at oran park i was having no difficulty outhandling GTST's and other RWD's ... only place i lost was on the front straight where BOOST rules
Hmm yeah that's going to be my problem - I've been driving a big heavy 4WD turbo for the past 4 years, so it may take some adjustment. Luckily this track (Taupo) is relatively short and twisty so the boost advantage isn't as much as it would be at other tracks. In fact, last time I was there in the VR-4, I got whipped by a 1600cc VTEC YO!!!!! Civic and a 1600cc Mivec Mirage :oops:

smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

MrFT000 wrote:what are considered "good times" at say wakefield?
I am also heading down the track pretty soon and want to know what to kind of aim for.
umm times are around search on the track names... (i guess i should put together a proper page for this)...

can't remember my times unfortunately
BuCkEt
Oldtimer

Post by BuCkEt »

Do you advise against hitting the track (Wakefield) with stock equipment??

I'd love to take my baby onto the track but have always wondered if the stock parts would last a few laps. :?
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

I see no problem with you going on the track with stock stuff! NO problem! Aslong as you have a car that is in good mechanical condition, you brake pads are relativly new, and you are prepared to loose approx 1/3 of your tyres and cover the cost of the actuall entrance fee!

:lol:
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

hey guys,

i found the same thread on OZhonda .

They have no respect for FTO!!!! :x

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14015
Jono
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

BuCkEt wrote:Do you advise against hitting the track (Wakefield) with stock equipment??

I'd love to take my baby onto the track but have always wondered if the stock parts would last a few laps. :?
we will have a track day coming up in a few months at wakefield if your interested...

there's nothing wrong with having a stock car on the race track... in fact it's better than being inexperienced with a car with too much power...

couple of things to put on your checklist

* have the car serviced a couple of weeks before the event (if your near your major service do it before the event)
* check fluids, belts, brake pads
* make sure you can afford a new set of tyres
* make sure your wheels are aligned (camber of -1.5 to -2 degree's works well)

you will need
* full length tshirt (cotton)
* full length pants
* helmet (can hire)

to do:
*remove everything from boot including spare wheel (we have cars you can put it in)
* remove everything from the inside of your car
* check lights replace any broken bulbs

we normally have a tool kit with us so you can borrow stuff or bring your own if you want.

track days are all about improving your own driving (with UAS we have driving instructors that can go in your car for FREE!) ... they're great fun and whilst it's nice to beat people you'll see at the end of the day that if you try to change your driving style like the instructor recommends you'll go faster and faster...

if you want to chat about it give me a call sometime.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Jono wrote:hey guys,

i found the same thread on OZhonda .

They have no respect for FTO!!!! :x

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14015

hahah :)

well i'm looking for our lap times now...

can't find them :(

i'll annoy UAS and get them....
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

That track day sounds great...

The only thing I'm doing prior to hitting the track is getting a brake pad and fluid upgrade - its a personal confidence thing for me, I've learned from past experience that hitting the brake pedal after a few laps and having not much happen can be a tad scary!

Haha sounds like Honda owners are the same the world over :P