Intake Pics

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Pomwa
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Intake Pics

Post by Pomwa »

Hey guys thought id share some pics of my new air intake, proudly sponserd by supercheap and bunnings!! :D

If you can't be good, be good at it!!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nice one Pommy, good to see someone else making use of ye old dunny pipe! 8)
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

ahahha nice how much that set ya back ?
Pomwa
Grease Monkey

Post by Pomwa »

:P .... yep its a plagorism of your set up, minus the box.....

so who do i make the copyright check out too??? :P
Pomwa
Grease Monkey

Post by Pomwa »

ahahha nice how much that set ya back ?

70 bucks for the filter

80 bucks for parts:

2 x rubber collars
4 x hose clamps
2 x 90 degree pipes
1 x 1 meter pipe
1 x mounting bracket
1 x pot belly black spray paint
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I bet you can feel the difference thou!
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

Looks good but on the other hand, that just look like sucking hot air to me :)
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/79682123.png[/img]
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Here is a pic of my set up, cost about $100 from ebay :)
battery is removed since it died...
Pomwa
Grease Monkey

Post by Pomwa »

I bet you can feel the difference thou!
Yeah, a lot smoother and sounds great too :D
Looks good but on the other hand, that just look like sucking hot air to me
It is only half done admittedly, i still need to do the intake from the bumper. However there is a carbon fibre heat shield around the cone itself which blocks out a fair bit of heat from the engine.

Ive just taken it for its first test run...... down moverly road, quite possible the worst road in east sydney, then peak hour on the M5..... and nothing fell off or went up in flames :D

Next test is tomorrow, down to canberra and back
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Thought I would take a couple of pics of under the hood today while I was waiting for the missus, and instead of starting a new thread, it kinda fits in here ...

So yeah ... Intake is a bit dirty, and the rest of the car could use a bit of a wash & polish ... But as I said, had a few minutes to kill while I was bored...
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

hey 'rock it' where did u get that intake pipe from?

does it work good or does it absorb a lot of heat?
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Came with the car ... Sorry ...

I saw one of the FTO's in the UK with the same one ... Saw his car on cardomain.com ....

Seems to work fine ... all the wheel arch plastic and stuff is removed, and I am going to run some pipe up from the bumper (where the fog lights are) straight to the filter to get more cold air going up ...

I think the results of it really do speak for themselves ... Just with that and an exhaust had the car putting out 111kw @ the wheels ...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Than an ARC intake pipe. Available from www.perfectrun.com.au. Not cheap!
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

Than an ARC intake pipe. Available from www.perfectrun.com.au. Not cheap!
apparently, its discontinued... :cry:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

rock_it wrote:Came with the car ... Sorry ...

I saw one of the FTO's in the UK with the same one ... Saw his car on cardomain.com ....

Seems to work fine ... all the wheel arch plastic and stuff is removed, and I am going to run some pipe up from the bumper (where the fog lights are) straight to the filter to get more cold air going up ...

I think the results of it really do speak for themselves ... Just with that and an exhaust had the car putting out 111kw @ the wheels ...
Mate if your filter is not sealed you will most definately have decreased power at low speeds.

A sealed unit will suck air from the outside, your unit even with a air intake will mostly be sucking air from your hot engine. Imagine your car taking off from idle. No cold air as vehicle is not moving, causing hot air to be sucked into the intake. If you make an intake with even a small bend in it, it would be deemed useless. Hold a peice of curved pipe in front of a fan or outside a window. Stuff all air, and considering how much air the engine needs, you may as well not have it.

You may have produced higher results on the dyno, because you have this massive fan blowing onto your engine, do you have this luxury in real life? No, so unless your sealed, your car would be producing less power with the pod filter.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Well, might look into boxing it ... As I said, car is how I bought it ... I told myself that I wasn't really going to do anything to it ... Well that lasted 1 week ... :?
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Boxing is good, just make sure to feed it some air as well.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Yeah ... I was thinking of running some piping up from where the spot lights are meant to be ... Well seeing as they were removed...
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

payaya wrote:
rock_it wrote:Came with the car ... Sorry ...

Mate if your filter is not sealed you will most definately have decreased power at low speeds.

A sealed unit will suck air from the outside, your unit even with a air intake will mostly be sucking air from your hot engine. Imagine your car taking off from idle. No cold air as vehicle is not moving, causing hot air to be sucked into the intake. If you make an intake with even a small bend in it, it would be deemed useless. Hold a peice of curved pipe in front of a fan or outside a window. Stuff all air, and considering how much air the engine needs, you may as well not have it.

You may have produced higher results on the dyno, because you have this massive fan blowing onto your engine, do you have this luxury in real life? No, so unless your sealed, your car would be producing less power with the pod filter.
spot on.

"Just because you're going to install a cold air duct to the filter, that doesn't get you out of making a heat shield. When there isn't air being forced through the intake (ie when the car's not travelling at speed), the filter will be inhaling stagnant engine bay heat. And - even when the car is up to speed and there's cool air flowing through the intake duct - what makes you think the filter will selectively suck in the cool air, not the hot air also swirling around with it? A heat shield is 100 percent mandatory!"

Its an NA car, heat is your biggest killer. I read all this sh*t about major mods that bring minor gains when the best thing you could do is ensure your airbox is up top stratch.

Also the obvious difference is the pressure difference betwen an open pod and a sealed box. Think about it, air forced intot a box that can only go into the TB...or in the pod case...the air is "sucked" into the engine stealing valuable HP...the choice is simple.

As for dyno results, everyone knows its noob. Its a tuning tool peroid for the HP delta we tak of, there are so many factors including a big fan in front with the bonnet up! Use it to measure your mod gain, not your penis size.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Soory champ ... But there is no measuring of the penis here...

What is with the f**king attack of you people ... Get a life ... All I have said is that "It was like that when I bought it" ....

I was asked does it work ...

Beats the hell out of me, but the power output of the car seems to be fine ...

I don't go off on a tangent and brag about sh*t ... So back up ... Forums are meant to be her to help people, not just try to pay out on them ...